Friday, July 8, 2016

I'm an insomniac: paint reviews.

No pictures (sorry), just text.  Wanted to give some impressions about the paint I use.

Citadel Colours: The newest I have is Nihlakh or whatever oxide. Other than that, the old wash set and Foundation colors.  They're not bad, but the drying agent in them and their cost make them low on my list.  That said, GW colors aren't ever 'bad,' and their customer service is top-notch if you get a bad batch of paint.  Overpriced and formulated for noobs, they're not worth your money.

Reaper Paints:  I only have Master Series, the HD is too new and I frankly am OK with what I have.  The colors are nice and consistent, good bottles with included agitators, but they feel 'squishy' to me.  The binder, or some ingredient that effects the brushfeel, definitely gives these paints some character.  That said, they're still very good.  Some colors better than others, of course.

Vallejo:  Game Color vs. Model Color, transparents vs others...Vallejo is a mixed bag.  Some colors are invaluable, almost godlike in their range of uses...Others are shit.  VGC Dark Green is honestly one of the worst colors ever.  Metallics are grainy but earnest.  VMC off-greys are some amazing colors, as is off-white.  If you don't know what company to buy from, Vallejo is a good choice.  Smoke is a near-necessity as well.  Yes, these colors are a bit fragile, but that's why varnish exists.

Tamiya: How confused can I be?  These colors all but expressly require specialized thinner, careful handling, and more.  They work like love in an airbrush, and they dry super matte.  Low working time, alcohol base...you need to do some work when working with these colors.  Their clear colors are amazing.  Tamiya clear red is all-but-necessary for good gore.

P3: My new staple, replacing Citadel.  My only real gripe is that the metallics are inconsistent.  Some feel like love itself, others are grainy and chunky.  Large range, good prices, these are what I would call the 'standard' paints.

Scale75: Mostly only come in packs.  This is my main problem, and the reason that were I numerically scoring these paints, they'd only be at 3/5.  Literally the best metallics I've ever used.  Skin colors are almost too matte, but that's not terribly important, because they're also indescribably amazing.  All colors thin down in a really weird way.

Italieri:  Only have a six-pack of these, but they're good.  Opaque, creamy, good overall.

Iron Wind Metals: Seems they're discontinued.  Their Ivory is an amazing color: off-white, covers well, dilutes well...Whoever they outsourced their paint to should be proud.

Warcolours:  Their metallics are some of the best out there, so long as you use them right.  Thin, slightly gel-like...ultra-matte, third only to Tamiya and Scale75.  Also, cheap as hell, which is a big plus.

There are more, of course...But I figured I'd take my most-used colors and give an unbiased analysis of them.  My favorite colors are GW graveyard earth and GW foundation charadon granite, and since they're both discontinued, I try to find replacements.  Right now, I use a lot of VMC Grey Green and Brown Violet, as well as several P3 cryx bane shades.

But this is how I feel about paints.  You, gentle reader, might find my recommendations terrible, and that's fine.  It's just that these are how I personally react to several popular paint brands.

P.S.:  Not even getting into washes and glazes and shit like that.  That review comes much later, if at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment